No one really understands the causes of this state -- they could be the effect of the leukemia actually entering the brain, but they could also be due to the toxic mix of medications she has been getting, including steroids, chemo, antibiotics, ativan, IV nutrition, etc. Another possibility is that all of the above have put such a strain on her body that it is simply in the process of shutting down.
Although we will be continuing as now for a few days unless things get suddenly worse, it seems quite possible, even likely, that she will die in a relatively short time. We do not intend to apply extraordinary measures to keep her alive unless there is good reason to believe that she has a good chance for a full recovery given a bit more time, something that seems pretty distant as of today.
13 comments:
Yes, went to see her today. She looked certainly worse than just 2 days ago. Recognized me, and was able to mutedly say something, but she is obviously very weak and dazed.
Hang in there.
Hi Peter
I am so sorry to hear this. I hope they can make her as comfortable as possible. Thank you so much for giving me a chance to talk to her on the phone on Tuesday. It meant a lot.
We're thinking about you and about Elizabeth.
As Jon Kar said, hang in there...
Dear Peter,
You continue to be Elizabeth's rock of shelter and protection in the storm.
Elizabeth emailed me a few weeks ago, thanking me for my recognition of your heroic efforts, and wrote that there was no way she could ever repay you for all you have done for her.
And - I add - are continuing to do for her as the gales grow ever stronger.
We all also thank you for keeping us informed when it must be so difficult even to write the words.
We are thinking of you both often.
Monica
Peter and Elizabeth,
we had an MBNI senior staff meeting at Huda's and were told about Elizabeth's situation now. I am sorry to hear how fast it now turned down, after so much hope even only a few weeks ago. You are great hanging in there and being her support. I still hope and pray for the best, but wish you both strength on these last and difficult steps, if that is what will be. Margit
Dear Peter,
So sorry to hear about this!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
All the best,
Howard
Peter & Elizabeth,
My heart goes out to both of you! Peter, you have been such a rock and positive force for Elizabeth over the years. We are there for you too! Both of you will be in our hearts and prayers.
Paul & Andi Plotsky
Peter,
I'm truly sorry to hear about Elizabeth's worsening condition. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Thanks for all you've done for Elizabeth and for keeping us informed.
Carol Perrault
Peter & Elizabeth,
We are so very sorry to hear these latest developments. Our hearts and thoughts are with you during this very sad time.
Susan and Ollie
Dear Peter,
My heart is breaking, and I am holding you and Elizabeth in my thoughts each day. To stay connected with news of Elizabeth through your blog means a lot - thank you. I'm with you there in spirit.
Rebecca Wyse
Peter,
No words can express our thoughts for you and Aunt Elizabeth. We will continue to keep you both in our prayers.
Love the Youngs
I'm so sad. Elizabeth- you have done so much for me, and are such an inspiration. I've been dreaming about you quite a bit these last weeks, and wish you every comfort.
Love,
Kate
So sorry on this latest turn of events. Our family's thoughts are with you and Elizabeth during this time. Sharon and Paresh Patel
Post a Comment